Thursday, January 8, 2009

We learn together :)

I shook things up a little today and altered our routine. When thinking of Scarlet's resistance to wed to the lure I was reminded of Katana's same resistance. While everyone told me that it was weight-related I continued to disagree. I finally realized that Katana did not like being on the ground. And where does the lure land?? That's right! The ground! Taking into account my experiences with Katana, I perched Scarlet out differently when I arrived home. Conveniently enough, I have just finished staining a block perch that I would use while traveling so I set that out in the middle of the living room alongside a full bath pan. Scarlet has only been on high wall perches since I trapped her, so this was definitely new to her. Let me tell you, she did not like it. At all. After about 30 minutes of pouting she finally settled in and started becoming comfortable. I can only image how she felt...everything in the room is so much bigger than her so from down there it must be intimidating. Needless to say, at about 7pm and 105.5 grams I called Scarlet to the lure. Instead of the 10 minutes it usually took for her to jump on it, it took only 10 seconds on contemplating. By George I think she's got it! She ate her 12 grams of mouse on the lure and then returned to the block perch. She sat fat and happy there until I went to bed and moved her back to the wall perch. Time to move outside!!

No comments: