Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Getting Better

I have been super busy and been a bad blogger over the past few days.

I have been working with Scarlet primarily on her lure response which allows me to put all of her daily food ration on the lure and make it a bigger, better reward. I have been using mice on the lure as I still have not been able to come by any sparrow yet. Kurt has the trap out, but has not had any luck as of yet. Scarlet is still figuring out what the whole lure thing is about, but she will now come down off her wall perch to the lure on the ground about 8 feet away from her. She usually stair-steps to it...taking perches closer the the lure along the way, but she eventually gets there. Her response is getting a little quicker, but is still no where near acceptable.
I have also noticed that her metabolism is quickening. Whereas 10 grams of mouse would hold her for 24 hours perviously, I am now feeding her 15. Yesterday evening I fed her 15 grams and I ended up having to supplement that at lunch today with another 4 grams to carry her until this evening when I will work with her again. I did have her come from the cubicle perch down to my desk to the lure for her food, and again her response was hesitant but there. She is also casting like clockwork mid-morning, usally around 9-10am everyday. Also, around 2 pm she entertains me by preening. She is definitely settling into a daily routine, I just wish she would let me include daily hunting!! We will get there, soon I hope.

No comments: