Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Very Jumpy

I took Scarlet outside to fly on the creance today at lunch. Her weight was dead on - 104 grams. We started out really well. A few flights at 10 and 20 feet and she was coming to me nicely. I had Scarlet perched near the front door on a small wall as it was the only place to put a perch. She first got spooked when Lisa came out to smoke. She stopped paying attention to me for the most part and kept looking at Lisa. She still came to me, just took a little longer to get there. When Lisa went back inside I threw the lure. After a few moments of contemplation she flew down and landed next to it. She never actually stood on it and was staring at me the entire time trying to pull the meat off the lure. I am assuming she was wanting to bolt with it. In the middle of this Aaron came out the door and she really spooked. She started to fly off, the creance line caught her and I picked her up. I brought her back and set her beside the lure but she wanted nothing to do with it. She sat there puffed up and mantling, her wings spread and shivering. I offered her a tidbit but she refused. I then picked her up and brought her back in. I will take her out again in an hour or so and throw the lure again.
Scarlet has obviously not forgotton the events of Sunday and I can only guess she is blaming me for taking her sparrow. She has never acted like this before and never feared me trying to take her food. This is a major set back and I will have to work on her diligently to get over this fear before I fly her free again. I will also make it a point to fly her around other people once she becomes comfortable with me again.

No comments: