Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Good Weekend

Friday I took Scarlet out after work. I was supposed to have someone go with me but it fell through so I decided to fly her by myself. I slappped a transmitter on her and loaded her up into the car. Unfortunately we mostly saw grackles. She did go out the window a few times but did not really chase. Her fist response was EXCELLENT. She came back everytime I called her. I was ecstatic. At the end of the day I was confident so I slipped her on some sparrows. She looked like she was going to chase but just flew over them to a tree. I called her to the fist and called it a day. 99 grams.
Saturday was super cold and windy. I have had a really bad weekend with my back so I decided to stay in. Kenny was over so for experiments sake I had him feed Scarlet. He called her to the lure and she came immediately. Good to know!
Today I decided to give Scarlet a baggie and work on some anti-carrying and build up her confidence. We tied the sparrow about 10 feet from the car and drove up on it. She slicked down and out the window she went. I have to admit if it had not been tied down she would have missed. I waited patiently for her to start plucking. I then put a tidbit on my finger and slowly made in. She tried to carry a little bit but took the tidbit graciously. After a few moments she continued plucking. I kept feeding her tidbit and she was soon pulling her sparrow towards me to get them. She finally calmed down enough for me to reach in and tether her. She was not eating yet so I helped her by opening the chest. She began to eat and then moved to the head. I continued to feed her tidbits and she soon quit mantling and trying to carry. She moved from the chest to the head and which gave me chance to pull the rest of the sparrow away from her. She finished the head, looked at me, and then hopped to my fist. All in all I must say it was a great experience. She is learning that I am not going to take her game from her. I have one more baggie that I will give her and I hope it will go even better than this one. 98.5 grams today and I think I will try her again at this weight and see how she does.

No comments: