Monday, December 8, 2008

And it starts!!

Saturday 12/6 I set out trapping with Chris Robbins. He was looking for a Red Tail and I was looking for a female Kestrel. Needless to say, within 1.5 hours we had trapped one of each and was headed home. I trapped a gorgeous female Kestrel, weighing in at 135 grams off the trap.Now the fun begins. It is rather quickly that you discover all the equipment differences between the larger Red Tail and tiny Kestrel. Fortunately, Noel and Chris helped me out with equipment and ensured that I have all the needed gear.I spend the remainder of the day manning her down. She was still really freaked out and reverted to playing dead bird. She would sit on the fist (or lay) but not really stand up. By the end of the evening, however, she was standing on the fist as well as recovering from bates. I even managed to get her to eat but did not make her do anything for it.

11am - 135 grams
5pm - 130 grams
10pm - 128 grams...fed 30 grams of grackle at 10pm.

No comments: