Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hide and Seek

Yesterday I had class so I was only able to work with Scarlet at lunch time. She was 97.5 grams when it was time to eat. Another windy day outside caused me to be creative. I work in your typical cubicle farm and on this particular day alot of people took lunch at the same time. I perched Scarlet on one of the end cubes and moved around the room calling her. I would make sure that I was out of sight and she would have to come find me. I must say that she did very well. She only tried to cheat a few times....following me when I was trying to hide. This is typical of a child though :)

Today after work Noel drove me around for a few minutes before heading home. The first slip we upon was absolutely perfect. Scarlet saw the starlings out the front window, slicked down, patiently waited and then flew out the window at the perfect time. It was a perfect example of how carhawking should look. Even though she chased like hell, she unfortunately missed, but not before getting a nice grab on a starling butt. I was VERY happy with the slip. Noel and I were unable to find anymore slips like that so he went home. I slipped her out a few more times and she gave another great flight on sparrows. However, her response today was terrible and only grew worse as the day went on. The last flight took me over 20 minutes to get her back as she kept self-hunting and ignoring me all together. I will perhaps drop another half gram and see how she does on Friday. She is definitely getting better though!

No comments: